Monday, January 23, 2012

Capitalism vs. Indigenous Economies

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the positive opportunities and studies of these mentioned indigenous people. As we have discussed in other Hawaiian Studies classes, we often see many Hawaiians choosing to play the victim role and holding on to inherited bitterness from the overthrow. Throughout Frederick’s article, this thought kept crossing my mind. However, the idea of indigenous entrepreneurship is shining light on the ambitious and innovative nature of our people. I feel that we are beginning to see this entrepreneurship from many potiki in Hawai‘i these days. With portals such as facebook and other marketing websites, it is easy for individuals and small businesses to kick-start their entrepreneurship.

A particular statement that I liked was Anderson saying that there “remains a strong desire to use entrepreneurial activity to rebuild these communities in such a way that ‘particular histories, cultures, and values play a prominent role’”. I think that this it is very important to see an indigenous people’s culture and especially their values intertwined into not only the economy, but the government as a whole. I was just talking to a friend the other day about how knowing and understanding something as simple as our relationship with the ‘āina can play a great role in your job and even change your perspective. Just as Kaleo spoke with us on Thursday, many companies are taking this into consideration when looking for an employee.

Lastly, another thing that really stuck out in my mind was the Maori’s ability to connect an ancient mo‘olelo and lesson to today’s economy and world. The Mauipreneur model is a great example of being able to use our kūpuna’s knowledge and mo‘olelo in present day. I like how he relates the many characteristics of the legendary Maui to the attributes we need in order to be successful indigenous entrepreneurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment