Sunday, January 22, 2012

Jenny Estrella - Howard Frederick

Through this reading I was able to contemplate and iron-out some pre-existing notions of "financial entrepreneurship" vs native "social entrepreneurship".  This reading has allowed me to make meaningful sense of my cultural world view when practicing in a "western world."  I find the term "Mauipreneur" model: was highly effective in symbiotically marrying the two realms in which I exist, "Western" and "Native Hawaiian".

The Chathams article takes a very open look at what tourism provides not only to the Chatham islands, but to us in Hawaii.  I believe the view on the Chathams can be helpful for Hawai'i in implimentation of effective and sustainable practices in terms of cultural, environmental and economic survival. If there was a better integration of the indigenous perspective there could be a more complimentary system that would better answer the needs of Hawai'i.

My horizons have widened to understand what is possible.  I believe there is a strong need to return to the value system of "Rangatira" and the "Potikitanga." Looking to our elders to balance the future younger generations was key to the survival of our ancestor and I feel what will be Key for our future survival.  This is a vital necessity that I will look towards incorporating into my future entrepreneur goals.

One thought:
In Hookele class I asked when navigating on the Wa'a what exactly is used to find out if you are going on the right path
The answer:
You watch the wake that is behind the wa'a, then you can tell where you are headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment