Tuesday, January 24, 2012

HOWARD

When I tell people that I am in Hawaiian Studies they often immediately come to the conclusion that I will pursue a teaching degree. I enjoy learning about indigenous entrepreneurship because it shows that there are many other options out there for us. I agree with U'i that our self victimization may keep us from perusing the business world. It is interesting to think about how often times as indigenous people we may inhibit ourselves, by believing that we are illiterate to the current capitalist system. I know personally I subconsciously feel this way. I believe in the Hawaiian Community it is a challenge trying to figure out how to practice your culture and pay the bills at the same time. Sometimes the exchange of money does not feel appropriate for certain products or services. For example I heard about _____ selling Pa'i'ai for $20 dollars a pound in whole foods. This is just what I heard but I am sure many have mixed feelings about this. I am not trying to say either of these guys are wrong, they are just prime examples of indigenous entrepreneurship. I guess these mixed feelings may be part of why we are"disadvantaged entrepreneurs". I feel that the perhaps this "money system" may often times be yet another thing that separates our people.
At the same time I can think of a bunch of successful Hawaiian entrepreneurs that I feel found the balance between doing "cultural services" in a colonized system. This was my understanding of the "mauitrepreneur" metaphor. I feel this helped to show that even though the colonizer business system may seem to be in another language, we can find a way to look and understand it through our lense as indigenous peoples. Ultimately understanding the business system is exactly what Paiea did when he first started to interact with the foreigners. He made it a goal to learn and master their ways (warfare, politics) but use them in a Hawaiian way (He never prayed to jesus).


sorry kumu, guess it was still in draft form

No comments:

Post a Comment