Although the language of this article is not something I read on a regular basis, I wish I could have read it a couple of years ago when I was taking Hawaiian Studies 445 "Hawaiian Institutions" with kumu Kekai Perry. I do believe that I would have been able to answer the question he posed to us a lot more eloquent and with much more evidence. "What is a Hawaiian institution?"
The main Idea of the first article was "indigenous entrepreneurship." A quote that stuck with me was by Scase and Goffee "[...] entrepreneurs may be more likely to emerge from those groups in society which are deprived or marginal, i.e. groups which are discriminated against, persecuted, looked down upon or exceptionally exploited." My opinion is that people who are discriminated know that society is flawed and look outside of that world for something better. That quote stuck with me because I remember watching a television program with a interview of Serena and Venus William's Father. In this interview he stated that he moved his children from a nice neighborhood to Compton in LA. because he said "that champions came from the ghetto's."
In the second article I liked the quote "Indigenous entrepreneurship is thus both economic and social and cannot be adequately explained by either separately." This is true because indigenous people are not able to separate them. A perfect example of this is when I hear people say "its just business" Does that statement mean that because "its just business" so, I can screw you over. Where is the moral judgment? Another thing that I feel the author describes in this article is something like kuleana. The relationship that a indigenous person has with his community and the respect he must give to that community. It grounds that individual into reality. I feel that if all business models in the world had this grounding the world would be a friendlier place for indigenous people to exist in. It is easy to let yourself down but much harder to let your community down.
What interested me in the last article was the question who is the indigenous people of the Chathan Islands? That in its self could be the hugest debate and everyone would have a case.
I personally enjoyed the readings and took a lot of valuable information from them. The most important of which was the questions, that now I feel I must find answers for. Mahalo no.
No comments:
Post a Comment