I thought that this article was inspiring and it made me proud to read the progress that Hawaiians have made in reviving the Hawaiian Language thus far. The strides made in the past few decades are motivating to say the least, and I look forward to contributing to further strides made toward Hawaiian language/culture revival.
A very beneficial aspect of merging indigenous language/culture with technology is that it creates a virtual space for discussion and information exchange that transcends geographical boundaries and limitations.
A unique aspect of being from Hawai‘i is that although we are recognized as a state, our “state” comprises of islands separated geographically. By utilizing technology we are able to create a space that all people can participate in discussion and learning even if they can’t all physically meet in the same geographical location. Whether on an island in Hawai‘i, another pae ‘āina or ‘āina ‘ē.
Indigenous Languages and Technology
Indigenous Languages and Technology (ILAT) discussion list is an open forum for community language specialists, linguists, scholars, and students to discuss issues relating to the uses of technology in language revitalization efforts.
I found this open forum on the web for Indigenous Language and Technology(ILAT) that I found very interesting. I didn’t have much time to explore the entire website but they have an archive of discussions by other Indigenous peoples around the world. This is a great virtual space for Indigenous people to compare their mana‘o and get information about other peoples’ effort in revitalizing their languages and cultures as well.
They also include links to articles if you’re interested in the topic.
Here are a few posts made by various groups of people retrieved from the server archive that I related to/ I related to the reading.
MESCALERO -- One word at a time, one student at a time, a group of
Mescalero Apaches and their partner, a New Mexico State University
anthropological linguist, are trying to stave off the demise of the
tribe's ancient tongue, the wellspring of its culture.
"Like one of the elders said, every step is sacred," said Oliver
Enjady, an artist and former Tribal Council member who is director of
Nde Bizaa, the tribe's language program. "This (language) was given to
us by the Creator for use by the Apaches. ... It's who you are, and
you can't change that. If this is lost, then what is your identity?"
"Language suicide is when a community itself opts not to practice it,"
Distinguished National Professor and renowned author and linguist Dr
Tariq Rahman
(so the opposite of language suicide is when a community itself opts TO PRACTICE it!!!!)
E Ola ka Olelo Hawai'i!
No comments:
Post a Comment