Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Hale- Pihana K.

By reading this, I am continuing to learn about the people that I know, and all of their contributions that I didnʻt know about. I have known Keao for years, and have met those like Larry, but there are so much that they have done that I did not know.

For me this is the first time that I am hearing about this leoki, but it made me think about how dependent I am on the Hawaiian fonts and the format for writing my papers in school. Especially for perpetuating the language for our younger generation, I think that the more programs that we have available, the better off we will be.

I am glad that now compared to the numbers before,  it has substantially increased in the number of children and overall the community in speaking the language. As we can see from the starting of leoki, it took 3 main people and I am sure a lot more to create this avenue for the children to communicate with each other.

I think that by having an environment that encourages the Hawaiian language, it is a safe place in which the children will not feel discouraged by outside influences. For me, the more sources that are available, it helps me in strengthening my Hawaiian language. By this I mean that I am learning Hawaiian as my second language, and because of this, it does not come as easy because the mindset of Hawaiian and English is two totally different ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment