Today, I passed by this cafe owned by a Native Hawaiian. From the outside I was unsure what they sold. From the window the place was reminiscent of flea market, mismatched chairs, a babies crib, a crowded shelf of mismatched teacups set out for use amongst other things. Anyhow my hunger pushed me in I discovered this business offered all sorts of sandwiches, salads, and over 50 varieties of specialty teas. After enjoying an onolicious meal, I was wondering why I was the only person in that place. Their product is fabulous, they should be as packed as Mitsukenʻs.
And it made me think, "Is this what this 490 class is for? Is it structured to educate me to identify a Native business, its problems and the solutions to increase its profit margin thereby inmproving the Native well-being? If so, interesting.
When I became a Hawaiian Studies major I never intended on learning to operate a business more successfully as a means to improve well-being. I thought that discussion belonged to business majors. As a HWST major I believe improvement to well-being will rise out returning to the culture and practicing its values. I think the following quote sums up my view:
"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot uneducate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore. We have seen the future, and the future is ours."
No comments:
Post a Comment