Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Hale Jarom

I just wanted to mention that tomorrow at 10:30am to 1:00pm there will be a vigil for protection of 300 plus iwi kupuna being desecrated at Kawaiaha'o Church and peaceful protest against the church for this hewa. Report @ 10:30am in front of Honolulu Hale across from thchruch to get signs and instructions, anyone arriving after 10:30am report to church side and see Hiwahiwa. No one is allowed on Church Property, they may arrest you! They are asking to wear black.

Also from the Hawaii GMO Justice Coalition:
GMO Labeling Rally Stop Monsanto From Poisoning Hawaii. Tuesday February 21 at the Hawaii State Capitol 415 South Beretania St. Honolulu. 12pm Blessing Ceremony for Haloa the Taro. 12:30-2:30 music, 6 speakers, free salad, snacks. 2:30-4:30 lobby legislators. 5pm closing

First off I must say that I am impressed and a little jealous that I did not think of leoki. I want to say mahalo to Nesmith, Kawai'ae'a, and Donaghy because I feel that it is a great thing they have done. The second thing is that I would like to use this computer program because it sounds very interesting. I don't believe that I would be able to understand a lot of it but it would be impressive to use.

What I pulled from this article are the challenges that were faced by Nesmith, Kawai'ae'a, and Donaghy which is incorporating new technologies to help preserve our culture. Right after reading this article I jumped on Facebook and a thought popped into my mind, what would it be like if Facebook had a Hawaiian equivalent? I would never have thought about that if not for this article.

Also another important issue is the use of new technologies in continuity with the efforts to revive our culture. It is obvious that children learn better than adults. I have learned how to use a computer faster and with more efficiency than my parents and my father was the same way with his parents so it only makes sense that we use those technologies to our advantage. My daughter is only two and loves to jump on my computer, so if I could get her to use programs such as leoki I feel it will help her to learn our language and the computer. I know that the more we can use technologies in our culture the better for our children.

Maybe someone could create a Hawaiian computer language. I have taken a couple of computer science classes I feel it would be interesting to learn in Hawaiian and to program in Hawaiian.




No comments:

Post a Comment