Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pacific Island Economies/Rebuilding the ʻAuwai

These two readings were much more enjoyable to go through this week. After reading Pacific Island Economies I thought of a Hawaiian family who started a surfing school about 10 years ago and two years they finally won a bid to work out of a stand on the beach of Waikīkī. Of course they teach surfing to many foreigners that come from all around the world, in which they contribute to this economy of Waikīkī that many of us question and possibly want to dismantle. I once asked the owner (who is my uncle) how does he deal with the western economy that he participates in compared to the non-western upbringing that he experienced? My uncle grew up in Kālihi with a grandmother who spoke Hawaiian and a lifestyle of a surfer who dreamed of surfing the world. He told me that teaching surfing on the beach of Waikīkī allows him and his family to live out his dream of surfing the world. Being that he owns a surf school, he makes the rules, makes the schedule for his workers, and makes money for his family to survive, he could not have thought of any other way to care for his family. His five children are sponsored surfers who travel consistently all around the world and since he is the boss of his own business, he travels with them. After thinking about this familyʻs lifestyle, I finally realized that this is their well-being, teaching surfing allows them to have a life that they love.
From the two readings that we were assigned I enjoyed Rebuilding the ʻAuwai the best. This reading actually reminded me of the conversation we had with Koa Marino, the kumu from Ānuenue. He spoke about the differences of ʻIke Haole and ʻIke Hawaiʻi and how it is very important for Kanaka keiki to distinguish the two in and out of the classroom. An example of ʻIke Hawaiʻi in an educational form is demonstrated by the Kahokuloa ʻOhana from Kauaʻi. Pulani Kahokuloa is a father of eight children, he taught all of his children how to surf in ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi and he continuous to coach them in ʻōlelo. I see this as self-determination to carry culture through surfing and ʻōlelo in an ʻIke Hawaiʻi educational form. Like the ʻAuwai and the education of our keiki, Pulani incorporated an ancient activity of our people and the language of our people to teach his children ʻIke Hawaiʻi. I really hope this makes sense to you folks because this is how I viewed and connected the readings of this week to the well-being of kanakas.

No comments:

Post a Comment