After I defined this term I immediately goggled Senegal, because I had no idea where this country was in Africa. I found that Senegal was ruled by two kingdoms throughout the 9th-14th centuries and in the 15th century the Portuguese landed on the coastline followed by the French. Around the 11th century the Islam Religion was introduced, and today about 90% of the population of Senegal follows the faith of Islam. Between 1300-1900 close to 1/3 of the population was enslaved by various European powers such as Portugal, Netherlands, Great Britain, and by 1677 France ended up in possession of a minor slave trade. E kala mai if I am rambling, but I feel that research on Senegal as a country is wise, to know some information on a place can guide my understanding of it better.
From the short history that I have found on Senegal I have gathered that this country has suffered many economical and political struggles before Independence was granted. Colonial power was still heavily present in Senegal long after independence due to the control used in conspicuous ways to protect and promote foreign capital, the import trade, extractive industry, and other services. The first 25 years of independence the peasant production of peanuts for export and international loan capital invested by the state was prevalent, yet politically and economically African and Lebanese businesses remained subordinate to both French and state, invested capital in the trading, manufacturing, and banking sectors. How can one country keep up with such high demands? The general decline of the peanut sector, revealed the falling of productivity and profitability for the producers, which eventually transformed the organization of rural commerce. With the many different groups or groupings that came into political play in Senegal, the militant UNACOIS is probably understood as the result of a transitional moment in Senegalese politics. The rise of this organization displays that old forms of government control over the business sector are no longer applicable. The well-being of the Senegalese has grown compared to the 1980s and 1990s, but the road to liberation has been a great struggle.
The Senegal struggle reminds me of the Apology Bill that given by President Clinton to Hawaiʻi in 1993. I can hear Haunani-Kay saying to us in class that - "we donʻt want no damn apology, we donʻt want a piece of paper! We want our land back!!" It reminds me of the fact that this apology will not change anything, it will not create a better living environment for our people to have a better well-being in life, it is just a piece of paper. Land will better our well-being, most definitely.
No comments:
Post a Comment