“With simple technology, low rate of population growth, and weak links to the market economy, traditional land uses have been able to feed local populations (Posey & Balee 1989)” When I read this line, it really struck me as interesting. I think as Native Hawaiian people trying to discover what we want within an economy, this sentence explains a lot. Many of times we are fighting with the idea of sovereignty and living in the “luxury” of today’s economy. In such a fast paced technological world that we live in today, how is it possible for us to succeed as a Native people and a contributing member of society? This statement is perfect for our search for balance like we are doing within this class. Like we discussed before, it is a matter of making the model fit to us as a native people. Is it truly possible for us to use technology, have strong links to the market economy and have traditional land use feed local populations? Practically the opposite of the above statement, but we can only try.
Finally, within the conclusion, the author lists some obstacles that might stand in the way of achieving success within an indigenous economy. The lack of agreement and strategy is a huge problem. Once again, I feel like this proves to be true within the Native Hawaiian “views”. I think as a people it’s often hard to get on the same page or agree on what would truly be beneficial for our Hawaiian people as a whole. All in all, I think this is an interesting article on Indigenous Economies and truly holds a purpose in our Hawaiian Studies 490 class as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment