Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cahn and Lin

Aloha Nō:

I found Indigenous entrepreneurship in the studies from Samoa extremely interesting. It is very relatable research because our culture is quite similar to the Samoan culture. I thought that the structure of the paper was very well put together because Cahn first explains the importance of FaʻaSamoa and how the Samoan people identify themselves within this way of living. Cahn then explains the conflicts of business concepts and FaʻaSamoa and the ways in which they can come together; I thought that the structure of the paper helped me better understand indigenous entrepreneurship, micro-enterprise, and basically just enjoy the reading. I thought about the value of the fine mats and the coconut oil that Samoan women and men make and how that is their sustainable livelihood, and it reminded me of a family in Hilo who makes canoes and canoe paddles. This ʻohana is skilled in wood making and it has been passed down in their family for many generations. Making paddles is their livelihood, they live and breathe this tradition. Paddles are sold to keep this tradition and business alive, and many paddles are donated and given to keiki in the community who wish to paddle but their parents are unable to afford it. This reading made me think of this family who sustains their livelihood in wood making, a skill that they carry from their ancestors, to sustain the tradition of hoe waʻa in their community and their way of living.
Linʻs reading was a little more dense then the Cahnʻs reading just because I could relate and make more connections with Faʻasamoa. With that being said I thought that this reading was also helpful in my understanding of entrepreneurship as an immigrant. After reading through the first couple of pages I automatically thought about the immigrants not only from China but also from Japan, Philippines and other countries who came to Hawaiʻi to work on the plantations. Willing or not to migrate many immigrants would send money back to their homeland to help their families survive and maintain well-being. The emphasis of a personʻs dual identity to return home is what got or discovered about diaspora. This reading help me to better understand well-being of different countries and their (indigenous) people in their entrepreneur ventures in a contemporary world. Many people would find this reading boring, but I found it quite helpful to better understand indigenous entrepreneurship in this western economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment