This course has been designed to provide students with the opportunity to gain valuable insight into actual business operations in order to better correlate academic experience with professional experience. The students will develop professional perspectives with businesses and non-profit organizations, specifically chosen by the instructors because of their varying Hawaiian sensitivities.
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Cahn
I first tried to read about the contemporary world's entrepreneurship, but didn't seem to find that interesting at all. However, I was really drawn to Miranda Cahn's writing. Its interesting to read the various examples of "indigenous economies" including Fa'a Samoa. The thing that I kept thinking about was her reference to indigenous economies and it's being intertwined within the culture and being community oriented. How much of our economy here in Hawai'i is embedded in social and cultural aspects of society? At first thought, I thought that this was a false statement in regards to Hawai'i, but it is very true that our culture is embedded within the tourism industry...but then again, how much of that culture is made up or true? We recently discussed the new Aulani hotel in 'olelo hawai'i and how Disney decided to make up a "Hawaiian Ceremony" for the setting of the sun. Although it was never a tradition of our people, Disney market's the Hawaiian culture for their resort. Cahn goes on to talk about indigenous economies being focused and oriented on the community.......also doesn't seem to be true either within Hawai'i. Anyway, just my thoughts, I thought this was a really interesting article!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment