Monday, March 12, 2012

Lin & Cahn, Globalization

I like how in the reading by Cahn, Samoans refer to themselves culturally as ʻfaʻaSamoaʻ: a way of life, a way of knowing. I can relate to the fact that not all Samoans agree with that definition, because I feel like the word ʻHawaiianʻ is used the same way here. Not all Hawaiians agree with the definition of what a Hawaiian is or should be. The key things that I noticed in both readings were change and adaptability. If there are changes it forces people to adapt to them or die. In Linʻs reading I was disappointed to read that diaspora groups of people who invest in their homelands, historically the investments dont enhance the existing industrial structure of the indigenous economy. So it made me think that as educated Hawaiians are we doomed to fail no matter if we strive to give back to our culture? Does that make us Hawaiians a bad investment? Should we invest in the ruling economy instead of locally? I want to say no, that we should invest locally whenever possible, but its hard to avoid supporting the ruling tourist economy when its so expensive to live, period, in Hawaii. Its expensive to live! And even if we support Hawaiians/locals, they will spend the money on foreign economies. I agree with Lin in her saying that we need to do comparative studies on indigenous economies of different cultures so that we can learn to adapt in order to better preserve and improve our cultures for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment