Monday, March 5, 2012

Kanoe Naone

I saw we had a reading on the syllabus, but it wasn't up on laulima....so I'll just blog about last week's class for now..

When Kumu mentioned the idea of creating more "Kanoe Naone"s, it really hit me. I think she is such a great role model to look up to. Kanoe is a perfect example of having a strong opinion, having a strong belief and then enacting it. The products of her work are all simply products of her opinions - everything she strongly believed in. Her presentation really had an impact on me just because she was so passionate about what she was doing. It was so easy to relate to her as a person maybe just because of the way she thought, spoke, and acted. Furthermore, it was also really interesting to see where she journeyed in her careers. Even though she got her degree in Political Science, she's now the CEO of an organization that perhaps doesn't really have much to do with political science. I'm sure many of the things she learned in getting her degree helped her in her position today, but it's inspiring to see where she has ended up. I truly hope to one day be able to articulate and carry out things that I believe in as Kanoe did. It is inspiring to see such strong Hawaiian women in today's community. Although I might not know what I want to do as a career, Kanoe shed light on the kind of person we can all aspire to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment