Monday, March 19, 2012

Cuba Video & Lio


Excellent video. Amazing stuff can happen. As I watched the video, It reminded me a lot of our family discussions that take place in our home. My dad terms a system like Cubaʻs a two-tier system.

Personally, I made a lot of correlations between the video and that of our kupuna. For example:
1. Valuing the cuban elders knowledge of oxen and farming
2. Cubaʻs fostering of neighbor relationships
3. The importance dedicated to education and health
4. The creation of self-sufficient communities
5. The relationship of the governement to its people (the kaikaina-kaikuaana malama relationship).

Two-tier system are efficient, a byproduct of it is an increase of leisure time. In Cuba their foresting of diverse crops allows them an increase in leisure time. And I believe leisure time is what allowed our kupuna to become masters in their fields. Leisure time makes way for enjoyment of life. While in constrast, working an eight to five job takes away opportunities for leisure time; And then  when you attach low compensation and the need to survive you get slavery.

------------------------
As far as the Kahana Lio Project learning how to help others navigate the process of making efficient use of their land sounds a lot like the role of the konohiki. It sounds like a huge project. And I would consider that a valuable project.
I just think, especially after attending Kumu Ohaiʻs Celebration of Life, "spirituality" is the key to this project. And if we heavily on it..."akua will provide". 

No comments:

Post a Comment