Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Chan and Lin

My dream job would have to be helping people because for me it is more about helping someone than it is about the money. In this society today you need money to survive so I understand that money is important. I am weary of making money a priority, because capitalism makes money a priority "the bottom line" and I don't believe in capitalism at all. It is a thin line to walk in capitalism to make money, but only enough for you to survive. People who want money have no limits that is why we see corporations that get bailed out by the government believe it is okay for them to take million dollar bonuses. The one major problem that I see with capitalism is that when companies are going under they decide to lay off thousands of employees at the lowest level when that number could be drastically smaller if they just decided to lay or take pay cuts in the upper divisions of employees. I need to find another model that works for me. The most important thing in life I feel is finding out what priorities we really need and finding ways of achieving them.
   
In Chan's article she states that "cultural  and social aspects are interwoven in economic transactions through entrepreneurship." I totally agree working for my father in Law installing solar I learned that it wasn't just about the service that we gave the customer, but it was also about the relationship that we had with them. My father in law is all about speaking proper English, however; when a customer starts to speak pidgin he will answer them the same way. This I believe is a cultural aspect that is interwoven in his business.
In both articles it discusses the benefits that we should have in business because we are "indigenous."
How do we keep entrepreneurs in Hawaii when jobs are so scarce, the pay is terrible and cost of living is so high? My brother for instance has a B.A. in Biochemistry and cannot find work, so he is moving to the continent because he feels that he can find better work. I know of many people who move away from islands just to survive. They have hopes of returning but don't. In Lin's article it said that some laws were passed that helped to fix this problem so maybe we can pass laws here to encourage our people to return.


No comments:

Post a Comment