This course has been designed to provide students with the opportunity to gain valuable insight into actual business operations in order to better correlate academic experience with professional experience. The students will develop professional perspectives with businesses and non-profit organizations, specifically chosen by the instructors because of their varying Hawaiian sensitivities.
Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Cuba Video-need for change
I really enjoyed the Cuba video last class and I found that after I watched it more and more interactions took place at home on Kaua'i that supported the necessary change in our current food health safety, and sustainability situation.
Currently Kaua'i is a hotspot for GMO testing. Unfortunately we are in waiting to see the consequences of these experiments although every time I return home I am informed of yet more and more cancer cases and other ailments affecting friends and family. I have been in contact with friends/farmers and have suggested starting La'au plots and eco-friendly,sustainable farming for those who have access to land on Kaua'i in order to plant seeds of change. While doing so I've referred to the Cuba video in introducing the idea of community based agricultural projects(self-sustainability) and less reliance on imported goods. I was impacted greatly by the Cuba video because it reinforces the need for ecological concern and dire need for change. It showed me that we don't need nearly as much as we use, as far as chemicals, oil, and other imports that we've deemed "necessary" and that if we can begin to change and resist the destruction of our land (GMOs/other) that we can begin to halt further devastation and encourage restoration as best we can, into a state of "sust'ĀINAbility."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Would the Laʻau plots be diversified? That would be really cool.
ReplyDeleteUltimately that would be the goal. Because of the different combinations of Laʻau, it would be beneficial to have easy access to a wide array of different plants.
ReplyDelete